Wednesday, October 12, 2011

NEW STAR SHS STUDENTS ON RAMPAGE AFTER DIRECTOR FAILURE TO REGISTER THE SCHOOL FOR FINAL EXAMS

Students of New Star Educational Institute Schools in Achimota and Sowutuom are on rampage demanding explanation why authorities told them they could not register them for the WASCE Exams.
According to the final year students, the school authorities did not explains why they cannot registrar them.
Some of the angry final year students spoke to Adom news

Meanwhile, the Director of New Star Educational Institute Schools Fred Mensah says WAEC did not give them the permission to write the June WASSCE exams but the NOV/DEC exams.
Mr Mensah says this directive did not go well with the parents as well as students which made them destroy some of the school properties.

DOCTORS TO STRIKE FOR A YEAR IF GOVERNMENT NEGOTIATIONS FAIL-GMA

The strike action embarked upon by doctors of the Ghana Medical Association continues as the doctors have refused to listen to appeals from the Health ministry resume work.
Assistant General Secretary for Ghana Medical Association, Dr. Frank Serebour hinted that the strike action may extend to a year if the Fair Wages and Salaries Commission continue in the same attitude they have exhibited.
The doctors who sounded frustrated accused the commission of failing to resolve the impasse dispassionately instead of the entrenched position they have taken.
The strike action embarked by the Ghana Medical Association (GMA) has entered into the fourth day, with no sign of Doctors returning back to hospitals.
Dr. Frank Serebour claimed the Health Ministry has failed to show commitment to resolve the matter; as they have never been part of any of the negotiation meetings.
He denied rumours that the strike action was based on money.

However, the Deputy Health Minister, Rojo Mettle Nunoo explained that there were two consultant submitted reports which seem to favour the doctors but unfavourable to other medical workers.
He noted that the doctor’s agitation stems from the fact that the commission was rather using another consultant’s report which deals more with the implementation of the job evaluation assessment.
He said they held a meeting with all stakeholders to agree on the negotiations for the doctors.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

SIR JOHN DEFENDS RAWLINGS

The General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party, NPP Lawyer Owusu Afriyie had defended former president, Rawlings and attacked president Mills and Dr. Obed Asamoah as ungrateful.
He has predicted doom for the NDC in their 2012 campaign as a result of the frustrations Rawlings and ignoring his role as a key person in the campaign.
The controversial General Secretary of the NPP who had earlier condemned the NDC General Secretary Johnson Aseidu Nketia for leading the negotiations for the return of the DFP to power lashed at launched another attack on president Mills describing him as a hypocrite and the one masterminding all the attacks brought against the former president.
Sir John was speaking on Dwaso Nsem this morning.
CUE: SIR JOHN WEEPS FOR RAWLINGS
The General Secretary for the New Patriotic Party (NPP) Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie says the National Democratic Congress (NDC) will get two votes from the Democratic Freedom Party (DFP) merger.
Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie known in political circles as ‘Sir John’ explained that the DFP has two votes including the life patron of the party, Dr. Obed Asamoah and Bede Zedine and the merger does not scare the NPP a bit.

On his part the NDC General Secretary, Johnson Asiedu Nketia was happy that the return of the DFP will make the NDC stronger to beat their opponents in what he described as landslide in the general elections.
He questioned the interest of the NPP in whether the DFP returns to the NDC or that adding that if their assumption that the NDC is making a mistake by their decision, then the NPP should be jubilating instead of condemning them.
General Mosquito described the comment of the NPP General Secretary as hypocritical.
He was sure of victory for the party in 2012.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

BLAME GOVERNMENT FOR DEATHS -GHANA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION

The Vice President of the Ghana Medical Association (GMA), Dr Frank Serebour has stated that should any death be recorded out of the strike action, the government must be held responsible.
He called on all well meaning people in the country not to blame doctors but the Fair Wages and Salary Commission as well as government.
According to him, people always accuse doctors for lack of commitment when they demanding better wages forgetting that without better conditions doctors cannot carry out their duties, he stated.
Dr Serebour noted that the medical association had always seen strike as the last option in view of its negative implications in the country but regretted that GMA have no choice than to employ the option in the face of Government’s intransigence.
Doctors announced a nationwide strike beginning Saturday, October 8, 2011. They are in protest over failure by the Fair Wages and Salaries Commission in addressing issues relating to their placement onto the Single Spine Salary Structure.
Others are the inability of the FWSC to provide evidence of migration of doctors onto the SSSS and the ambiguous stance of the Single Spine Salary Secretariat on the positions of District Directors of Health Service and Medical Superintendents.
In the light of this, the National Executive Council of the GMA has decided that the roadmap as stated in the press statement issued in Tamale on September 24 should come into effect until agreement with government over their allowances are met.

Story: Samuel Mantey/Adom news/Ghana

Friday, October 7, 2011

Ghana earns 337.3 million dollars from oil

The Minister of Energy, Dr Oteng Adjei has revealed that total crude oil production from the Jubilee offshore field between January and September 2011 amounted to 16.7 million barrels, with Ghana earning 337.3 million dollars from its first three lifting’s of 2.98 million barrels.

He said Government is commitment to ensure the judicious use of the revenue to be generated from Ghana’s fledgling oil and gas sector to the benefit of the citizenry.
But stated that stakeholders have to play their part to improve the sector for government to achieve its agenda of accelerated and sustainable economic development.
Dr Oteng-Adjei said interest in Ghana’s oil and gas was growing and becoming more competitive, thus placing Ghana in the right stead to negotiate for better fiscal terms and petroleum agreements that preserved national interest.

He said that currently, 13 different petroleum operations were being undertaken along the country’s shorelines at different stages of exploration and development, demonstrating government’s commitment to streamlining and accelerating the process of acquisition of blocks and to speedily increase Ghana’s oil and gas resources.